The Junior Striders track & field program runs from May to June each year and is open to current Calumet Region Strider members ages 6 to 18. (Purchase the CRS Family membership online here.)
Program Fee: $30 per child
Track & Field Schedule
Practice will begin Monday May 10th.
Practice at Rohrman Park & Sunset Hill May 10th, 17th, and 24th
Veterans Memorial Park Hobart May 12th, 19th and 26th
Practices are held twice each week in Lake County and in Porter County and will begin the first week in May. Participants can attend as many practices each week as they would like. Details on locations and times are posted to the Junior Striders Calendar. Be sure to check it regularly for any changes.(under construction)
- During the first few weeks, we will meet at local parks to focus on general conditioning
- In mid-May, our practice locations will shift to track work at local school tracks
- We are planning on two Inter-squad meets: one in Porter County and one in Lake County
- Practices are rain or shine, unless there is inclement weather
Youth runners who want to stay or get in competitive shape should be training 4-5 days a week. Coaches can offer suggestions on the type of training runners should be doing on non-practice days.
Cancellations & Program Updates
Program updates and cancellations will be announced through Remind 101 and our Facebook page. Like and follow us on Facebook here. Coaches will provide details on Remind 101 signup at the beginning of each season.
Uniforms are optional but good to have for meets and other race events. Ordering information will be provided during the first couple of weeks. Additional optional Strider gear will also be available for order at that time. For questions or orders, please contact Tim or Erin at email@example.com.
All of our coaches are volunteers and do not get paid. To help keep costs down, we need parents to volunteer and help at one or more of the youth events during the season.
Runners will need to qualify for the optional opportunities provided through the AAU and USATF.
Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) Junior Olympics
- Annual membership required to participate (Use club code WYWB7B)
- AAU Indiana District Qualifier meet:
- AAU Regional Championships:
- AAU Junior Olympic Games:
USA Track & Field (USATF) Junior Olympics
- Annual membership required (Use club code 16-223)
- USATF Indiana Junior Olympic Championships:
- USATF Region 7 Junior Olympic Championships:
- USATF Junior Olympic National Championships:
Optional Local Opportunities
Junior Striders can participate in a variety of local events, including:
- The Gold Cup Series, the Calumet Region Striders competitive race series: youth earn age-group awards after completing just 5 races
- Sponsored races and other local 5K races (not recommended for kids under 7 years of age)
- Chick-Fil-A Youth Track Meet
- Indiana State Athletic Club Invitational
- Midwest Youth Championships
- Extra Mile 1 Mile Challenge
Please note that coaches are not always available at these events.