Calumet Region Striders
Board of Directors Meeting
May 10, 2007
Location: Real Life Community Church, Portage, IN
(Note: All position titles have been updated for the minues and for the "About The Board" section on the website to be consistent with wording in D R A F T Bylaws.)
|Robin Benson-Harvey||Vice President|
|Frank Johnson||Nominationing, Bylaws & Disabled Runner; INSTEP Editor|
|Ruth Bonacci||Membership & Volunteers|
|Mary Zemansky||Gold Cup & Sponsored Race Series|
|Linda Kovacs||Social & Sponsorship|
|Sue Brown||Runner Programs & Scholarships|
|Mike Wilson||Webmaster & Statistician|
Guests: Pat Rhodes, Duane Schmidt - Pastor, Real Life Community Church
Excused: Cecilia Bernal, Misty Chandos, Linda Kovacs
Meeting called to order at 6:39 PM by Michele Hale.
April minutes tabled until next meeting.
- New Business
- Pat Rhodes displayed medal for having been elected to the Indiana High School Swiiming & Diving Hall of Fame. Announcement will be placed on the web site.
- AAU track meet - Strider Bucks given for 4 hour shift.
- RRCA Convention (Sue) recap
- Possible NIKE Sponsorship
- Jim Cox plaque - discussed what to do with it. Will present to Jim Cox family if they want it.
- Robin will present Jim Cox scholarship.
- Still need bio material from Ruth and Frank for Meet the Board section of web site.
- Length of position -
Years of Terms (For first term under new Constitution to create staggered terms):
President -2 Years
Vice president-1 Year
Nominationing, Bylaws & Disabled Runner Chair -2 Years
Membership & Volunteers - 1 Year
Gold Cup & Sponsored Race Series Chair - 1 Year
Social & Sponsorship Chair - 2 Years
Runner Programs & Scholarships Chair - 2 Years
- Just A Little Run contact issues.
- Mailed out membership renewal reminders.
- Dave Myroup will pick up newsletters from OE.
- 2007 Gold Cup Premium - 29th years - keep budget at $5 this year
Potential Gold Cup Premiums (bags/backpacks/magnets & holders)
- Michele has contacts for significant discounts on Strider Wear. Sue will check silk screening costs.
- Old Business
- Discussion of suggestion to award Life Membership to past Presidents with two years of service. Motion by: Robin, second by Mary - Motion Carried. Cecilia and Robin will research who should be considered.
- Scrapbooks - update from Pat? Pat has them and is working on them. Getting them ready to go to Griffith Library
Vice President's Report:
- Update on Railcats outing - 98 seats sold, sugggest use of online poll to develop options for next year.
- Robin has bulk mail stamp.
- Jim Cox scholarship to be presented on 5/16.
- Show Your Strider Wear - suggestions: at each race, have a raffle for wearers of Strider Wear; updated membership form to order Strider Wear; "clearance" sale; mail option for orders.
- Complete accounts
- Beginner Runner Program call out update
- Do Wrap Up Date
- Some Strider Wear on back order.
- Seeking approval to order hats - motion by Sue, second by Robin. Approved.
- RRCA Class update - test submitted
INSTEP Editor's Report:
- Print 415 newsletters - submissions due 5/17, printing 5/22, ASSIGN stuffers, determine inserts needed
- Bylaws Update
- Use news @calstrider.org email.
- Striderbucks $10.00 per stuffing session , not per person.
- Suggestions from RRCA Meeting: Use December issue for "The Year in Review" theme; suggested emphasis on "faces, friends & me" for content; suggested that CRS furnish "Strider Finish Tape" for all races so that any pictures will advertise Striders.
- Discussion of creating Sports Information Director position
Webmaster & Statistician's Report:
- Delay in making updates last 30 days because of significant computer upgrade.
Gold Cup & Sponsored Race Series:
- Status of race apps (Buckley, Rotary Ramble & Hometown)
- Sponsored Series Add-on need raters. (Field Station Frenzy 5K & Firecracker 5K.
- Newest sponsor - Dr. Chanbo Sim.
- Draft Letter outlining Sponsorship Program
- Discussed use of Broadcast e-mails for alerting members to races not listed in GC/SS - decided OK as long as no conflict with GC/SS and doesn't use CRS membership list.
Social & Sponsorship:
- August 18 - Strider Picnic following Hometown Run
- December 7: Holiday Party
Runner Programs & Scholarships:
- March 22 RRCA Report
- Expect approximately $2000 income from Taltree - suggest 10% of income to Jim Cox Scholarship fund. Sue will provide proposal for budget/income procedures.
- For insurance coverage, RRCA covers long distance running/walking participation only; AAU covers track & field participation.
Membership & Volunteers:
- BoardSouce.com - resource for 501C3 board members.
- Karen Spoor -
Next meeting: Thursday 6:30 PM June 14 - Ruth Bonacci's Home (cook-out at 6:00 PM), Chesterton.
Meeting adjourned at 8:45 PM by Michele
Minutes submitted by: Mike Wilson