Calumet Region Striders
Board of Directors Meeting
October 20, 2005
Location : Omni 41 - Schererville, IN
|Michele Hale||Vice President|
|Robin Benson-Harvey||Gold Cup Committee|
|Sue Brown||Past President|
|Pat Rhodes||Past President|
Members at Large:
Guest: Rich Limacher
Unable to Attend: Slager, Wilson, Stiles, Klaeser
Meeting called to order 7:03 PM by Cassandra.
August minutes approved. Pawola motion; Navarro second.
September minutes approved. Pawola motion; Navarro second.
- 285 Oct postage = $56.88 (39.48 bulk, 29 stamped) saved $124.42
- Holiday invitation included with announcement for no-shows-charge indicated
- November INSTEP distributed at Fall Frolic- submissions due by Friday, 11/4
- MidWinter Cruise app, Board nomination from, 2006 renewal & GC Series to be included
- MARATHON RECAP
- 200+ Strider volunteers. Y-Me volunteers & Iowa XC team netted extra 150 vol's
- Short 40 jackets-on order-Rhodes has list will distribute at Fall Frolic
- Rhodes received Tiffany paperweight from Chicago Marathon for 16 years of outstanding volunteer service
- Kudos to refreshment crew (Mangel Family) - reimbursement $20 to Mangel-supplies
- Thank you letters in process to McDonalds, Family Express, Panera, Mangels
- Suggestion to designate a person to hand out jackets - S Lee Alavarez has someone
- Rozycki to contact Chicago Marathon regarding voided parking passes and see what reimbursement options are available for our members who had to pay
- Brown & Kellenberger to present amendments to By-Laws, if any, next meeting
- Suggestion to have past presidents appointed or elected in Member-at-Large positions
- Michele Yoko now has PO Box key - second key still missing
- Positions posted in INSTEP:
- Editor - Jen Smith on maternity leave
- Strider wear assistant - create order form 2x per year
- Sponsorship/Correspondence - Lansdowne offers - appointed by Rozycki.
Gold Cup Committee:
- Committee Chair Zemansky presents proposed schedule. Discussion held.
- CDC not returning for 2006 Series - date conflicts with Rotary Ramble which is veteran race
- Just A Little Run unanimous vote not to renew due to Race Director placing restraints on selling Striderwear and CRS memberships at the race.
- OZ 5K unsure whether they are having race next year - did not renew for 2006 series
- Probationary races for 2006: MidWinter Cruise (Pawola -race mentor), Valentine, YMCA Strong Kids, Buckley 5miler, Cal City (Brown - race mentor)
- New: Valpo Mini (April), Tower Run 8K (Michigan City - September), Panther Pounce 5k (Westville - November)
- Jr. Strider 1 mile course will be offered at Trail Run Extreme (Portage) on 5/29
- Jr. Striders can run 5K's at Strong Kids & Munster Rotary for GC Points
- 2006 proposed GC Series schedule approved as modified unanimously
- Race Directors Meeting/Reception is Dec 8th 5:30 PM Woodhollow Lounge/OMNI
- Carey Pinkowski Guest Speaker - appearance by Board members mandatory
- Question/Answer session - RD's & Board complimentary. Guests $15.00
- Formal invites to be mailed by Rozycki; invite non GC RD's for guest fee
- CRS member Limacher presented concerns with Cal City final race results. Discussion held. Appears that a bandit finisher threw off results by one place and/or popsicle sticks not provided at finish line in proper numerical order. Limacher to provide revised finish order/results to Rozycki for correction
- 2006 Gold Cup Series Magnet calendar - 40 cents each; $40 set up fee-Rozycki to consider
- Sydney Yurkus entered in wrong age group/GC. Birth year is 1995 and not 1996. She will be moved to correct age group for 2005 behind all other finishers in that group - no disqualification from 2005 Series
- Old gray carport tent - requested use for AAU meets -Discussion sell or keep? Unanimous decision to keep in Strider inventory-Rhodes has possession. Available for use by Joe Mis no charge; rental - $20 posting $50 deposit
- Strider wear blow out clearance @ Fall Frolic. Yoko-Hale, Lansdowne, Brown to help
- Valpo Y fitness fair (Giannetti, Kovacs) 11/2 5-8pm, 5:30 run-2 CRS windshirts raffle
- CD - $15,000 investment matures 11/2/05 with approx $446 revenue. Pawola & Brown to search for re-investment options, bring to next meeting
- Bernal to provide invoice for OE memberships to Rozycki
- Rozycki, M Jones, Brown -live interview on Radio (WVLP 98.3 FM 10/26 5:00-6:00 pm) benefits of CRS membership & participation in club family events/ programs
- Total Members: 503
- Total Households: 413
- 210 Other Races
- 25 Gold Cup Races (including 33000+ finishers in Chicago Marathon), "In the Running" updated after each race.
- Event Calendar (home page) updated to highlight current day
- Many announcements on Home Page (Congratulations to Pat Rhodes!)
- Upcoming Events updated to include Holiday Banquet info and form
- Added "Start Running and Keep Running" Category to Message Board, removed old entries.
- Added "Vote for Aid Station #3" link.
- Added multiple events and announcements for Junior Striders
- I have been trying to create our Family Membership Application on signmeupsports.com with little success. They have indicated a willingness to help after I have done as much as I can. However, it's still not clear if they will charge the $195 set-up fee. My impression is that they are not configured for our type of family membership. However, I will keep pursuing this.
- I have not invested any time in activating the new message board system - probably not warranted given the low usage.
- Multiple Member Newsbytes from local/Chicago papers
- 3 new photo galleries
- New members: 155 (50 in Gold Cup); Total members: 484 (228 in Gold Cup)
- Attended Gold Cup Committee meeting 9/26
- Added Tom Magill's article to Newsletter Articles.
- Updated 2006 Membership Application and implemented on web site
- Added link to Fall Frolic registration form
Next meeting: Thursday November 10 at The Omni 7pm
December meeting: Thursday December 8 at The Omni RD Reception 5:30pm
Meeting adjourned at 9:16 PM
Minutes submitted by: Sue Brown